Search real stories by role, salary, location, source of hire, interview process and what finally worked. Use these stories to understand the market before your next application or offer negotiation.
The offer letter came through at £62k full-time hybrid, and my first reaction wasn't the excitement I expected after 41 days of searching and five rounds of interviews. It was more a quiet dread. I'd spent the last two years working four days a week at my previous company, and I wasn't sure I could go back to five without resenting it from day one.
The search itself had been a slog. I sent out 22 applications across Manchester and a handful of remote-friendly studios, heard back from a fraction, and most of the interviews I did land felt like they were going nowhere. The conversation with the design studio started differently, partly because I came in through a referral from a designer I'd worked with a few years back. That introduction meant the first call felt less like an audition and more like a conversation about what the team actually needed. Over five interviews they walked me through their research process, their design system, and how product sat alongside engineering.
When the written offer arrived I sat on it for a day before responding. I knew I wanted to ask for the four-day arrangement, but I'd seen that conversation go badly before, companies treating it as a red flag, suddenly unsure about your commitment. I kept the ask simple: I'd been working a four-day week, it suited how I do my best work, and I wanted to continue at 80% pay to reflect that. Their response surprised me. They came back and said they'd prefer to keep me at full salary, on the condition that I committed to a specific Wednesday rhythm, a standing research day the whole product team observed together. They wanted the consistency more than the cost saving. I signed within an hour.
I had been a security engineer at a London fintech for four years, and I had been thinking about leaving for two of them. The role had a clear ceiling, and there was no way to move sideways into application security, where I wanted to spend more time. I was also homesick for Singapore, where I grew up, and my partner and I had been talking about whether moving back made sense.
A close friend from university had joined a Singapore fintech as the platform lead the year before. He had told me more than once that I should apply if a role opened. I did not, mostly because I was waiting for the moment when the move felt right. That moment came in spring. Two friends in London moved away in the same month, and I ran out of reasons to stay.
I told my friend. He passed my CV directly to the hiring manager of the security team. The recruiter call happened the same week.
The process was five rounds across three weeks.
Round one was about application security. Two engineers gave me a real piece of their codebase, a payment authorisation flow, and asked me to find three security problems and three operational risks. I had ninety minutes. I found two security problems quickly, missed the third, and found four operational risks. Afterwards the reviewer told me that the third security problem was the one they were watching for.
Round two was about infrastructure security. Two different engineers, a different scenario: a Kubernetes cluster with a specific IAM setup, and a question about whether a compromised pod could escalate. We talked about it for an hour.
Round three was incident response. They gave me the transcript of a real outage from six months before, lightly anonymised, and asked what I would have done at each decision point. There were two moments where I would have decided differently. I said so. We talked about whether I was right.
Round four was a leadership round with the head of security. Less technical. Real questions about managing a difficult engineer, about a politically sensitive disclosure, and about a project where the right answer cost more than the team had budgeted.
The last round was with the CISO. Twenty minutes. He asked what would make me leave the company in two years. I told him.
The offer was US$140,000 base, a Singapore package, paid in USD through a regional entity. I asked for US$148,000 and explained the depth of the process and a comparable London role I was also talking to. They came back at US$145,000. I said yes, because with the difference in cost of living, and with my parents nearby again, the package was clearly better than London.
Two years earlier I had cold-applied to the same company and never got into their process.
I'd been keeping a loose eye on the market for a few months when a friend who works at an Austin SaaS company mentioned my name to their VP of Marketing. No cold application, no evening spent tailoring a cover letter. The conversation just happened after I said over lunch that I was ready for something new. The VP reached out within a few days, and from that first email the process felt different from the automated-rejection cycle I was running in parallel across 27 other applications. Only one of those 27 led anywhere. This was it.
The process ran four rounds over about seven weeks. The first was a straightforward hiring manager screen: role expectations, my background, how I think about positioning and messaging. The second was a peer panel with two senior PMMs and someone from demand gen, and it was collaborative rather than interrogative. They wanted to know how I'd work alongside them, not just whether I could answer framework questions. The third round was the one that mattered most. A twelve-minute exec presentation on a competitor teardown of my choosing. I picked a company I'd already been watching out of pure curiosity, with a running doc of notes on their messaging shifts, pricing page changes, and launch cadences. I didn't dress it up. I walked through it the way I would if I were briefing an internal team before a launch, with a clear point of view and a recommendation at the end. That framing worked. The final round was a closer conversation with the CEO, more about culture fit and long-term ambition than anything technical.
The verbal offer came in at $100,000. When the recruiter used the word "flexible" in the same sentence as the number, I took it as an opening rather than courtesy and asked for $108,000, walking through my reasoning. They came back the next day and confirmed it. Accepted.
After about six weeks of quietly looking, I'd sent out roughly fifteen applications across Sydney's tech sector before the right break came through. A former client, someone I'd worked closely with on an integration project a couple of years back, got in touch unprompted and said he'd put my name forward to the Solutions Engineering manager at a Sydney B2B SaaS company. I hadn't given them a serious look before that conversation, but the hybrid setup and the scope of the role made it worth having a crack at.
The process ran over six rounds across about forty-five days, and I won't pretend the pacing didn't wear on me. The early stages were standard: an initial screen with HR, a technical discovery call, then a deeper architecture whiteboard session where I had to walk through a multi-tenant cloud migration scenario with two senior engineers pushing back on my assumptions. I felt confident enough after those. But round five was a panel with cross-functional stakeholders, and the tone shifted. They were assessing how I'd handle internal politics as much as technical complexity.
Round six was the one that mattered. A sixty-minute mock customer demo, except their actual sales team was in the room, watching in silence. About fifteen minutes in, someone broke character and hit me with a hard CFO-style objection: budget authority questions, timeline scepticism, the kind of thing designed to knock you off your prepared flow. I acknowledged the concern, parked the slide I was on, and reframed the value case around risk reduction rather than feature set. It went sideways a second time near the end, when a "procurement lead" challenged our integration assumptions. I recovered by being honest about the constraint rather than bluffing through it. The hiring manager called out that moment of transparency in the debrief.
The offer came two days later: a base of AU$140,000 plus a sign-on bonus equal to one month's base. I took it.
15Applications
6Interviews
6 weeksSearch length
ReferralSource
Move closer to your next job offer
Get expert help with your CV, interviews, salary negotiation and job search.